RETURN TO LIGHTHOUSE MAIN PAGE »
In 1905, Ashtabula River was widened and a breakwall was built to protect the harbor. A third lighthouse, the one still in use today, was built atop the
new breakwater. Originally, the lighthouse was located approximately 2,500 feet north of the river entrance and the 1876 lighthouse. The new light stood 40
feet high and was made of steel and iron. The river-widening project left the old lighthouse 60 feet out into the river and away from the pier.
Moved to its present location in 1916, the current light was automated in 1976. This site is an operational facility administered bv the U.S. Coast Guard and so is not
open to the public. A light buff keen on getting close to the structure to view or photograph it would have to go by boat.
CLICK FOR MAP OF AREA »
Location: North end of west Ashtabula breakwater in Ashtabula Ohio
Here is the weather for Ashtabula, Ohio.