RETURN TO LIGHTHOUSE MAIN PAGE »
Buffalo Main Lighthouse
Originally the need for a light at this location was, filled by a beacon constructed in 1818. Because the first light was found to
be too dim, the existing tower was erected to replace that light in 1833. The octagonal tower is constructed of neatly-carved stone
blocks set in place to withstand many centuries. This tower is both a landmark and a treasure of the Great Lakes. Getting to the light
requires very little effort. Take New York Route 5 "Skyway" exit at Fuhrmann Boulevard and follow the signs leading to the Coast Guard
station. The light is located adjacent to the station property and is part of an outdoor museum.
Location: At the mouth of the Buffalo River, Buffalo, NY.
Here is the weather for Buffalo, New York: