RETURN TO LIGHTHOUSE MAIN PAGE »
Manhattan Range Lighthouse
In 1918, a new set of range lights replaced the original ones. Each of these modern towers consisted of a square, steel lantern room surrounded by a walkway, resting atop a skeletal steel tower. The focal plane of the front light was 40 feet tall, while the rear light was at 86 feet and had the brighter beacon, a fifth-order bull's-eye Fresnel lens.
In the late 1980s, the Coast Guard offered to sell the Manhattan Range Lights to Hansen Industries, but a deal was instead agreed upon whereby Hansen Industries would be given the lights if they would simply remove them. Late one summer afternoon, a few employees of Hansen Industries departed their workplace aboard a boat with a barge and crane in tow. Cutting down the towers proved more difficult than expected, but after trimming the taller rear tower to match the 20-foot height of its mate, the pair were transported back to Hansen Industries where they were placed in the parking lot. The owner of the Lighthouse Cafe later purchased the front tower and relocated it to his business at 2605 Broadway. (The restaurant has since been converted to the Six Pack Bar & Grill.) The Front Range is now painted a solid white, while the Rear Range is pale yellow with a blue roof and ventilator ball.
Location: The Rear Range Light is located on the grounds of H. Hansen Industries at 2824 North Summit Street, while the Front Range Light is located at 2605 Broadway Street, next to the Six Pack Bar & Grill.
Here is the weather for Toledo, Ohio: